If you’re interested in joining our basic traditional archery classes, call us or come in to sign up. Classes will be held on an as needed basis and are currently limited to four people. This is the basic traditional archery class lesson plan for our first session.
All lesson plans are outlines for the class in question, they will be adapted for the ability and desires of the student. Students are responsible for practicing what they learned after the class is over and throughout the week.
Lesson One: Dominant Hand Shooting
- 10 to 15 minutes: Warm up the hands, wrists, arms, shoulders, back and body. Simple movements to get ready to shoot.
- 10 to 15 minutes: Practice the stance without a bow. Body position is important to shooting correctly. This part of the session will help students find the correct body position.
- Feet, knees, hips, shoulders, elbow, look, point, concentrate, anchor point
- 10 to 15 minutes: Bow mechanics – holding the bow, canting bow, loading bow, using finger tips, pulling with the back muscles, finding the anchor point.
- 10 to 15 minutes: Practice with pointers. Work on focusing, concentrating, and clearing the mind.
Archery is a workout. It involves repetitive motion and includes the pulling of bow multiple times, even a 22# draw weight can become heavy. Students will also walk between 10 and 15 yards to retrieve their arrows after shooting three. Dress in comfortable clothes that fit well.
Arm guards and gloves are available for use should the student need them. Getting an archer’s tattoo, when the string hits the elbow or forearm and leaves a red mark or bruise, or blisters is no fun and may hamper future shooting possibilities. Please be aware of your body and your limitations.
If you aren’t feeling well, please stay home. We can provide you with a make-up class, or classes, at some point in the future when you are healthy. Your health is more important than making it to archery class. Just call us and let us know that you won’t make it in. Thank you.